What is occupational health?
Occupational health services focus on the reduction of occupational fatalities, injuries, and illnesses. MedPhysicalsPlus is pleased to offer some occupational health services to significantly decrease losses incurred by businesses when workplace accidents occur.
MedPhysicals Plus offers the following occupational health services:
Breath Alcohol Testing
Physical Abilities Test
DOT Physicals (Anchorage location)
Women’s History Month: Breaking Barriers: Recognizing the Gender Disparities in Occupational Health and Safety for Women
Nationally, women are more likely to experience workplace violence: According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, women are more likely to be victims of workplace violence than men. In 2019, women accounted for 61% of all workplace violence victims. Women in certain industries are at higher risk: Women who work in the healthcare, social assistance, and retail industries are at a higher risk of workplace violence. Women are more likely to experience work-related injuries: According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), women are more likely to experience musculoskeletal disorders and other work-related injuries.
According to Alaska’s Department of Health and Social Services, women in Alaska have higher rates of preventable diseases, such as diabetes and hypertension, than the national average. Additionally, Alaska has the highest rate of breast and cervical cancer in the US. According to the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, women in Alaska have higher rates of work-related injuries and illnesses than men. In 2019, the incidence rate for nonfatal occupational injuries and illnesses among women was 3.8 cases per 100 full-time workers, compared to 3.0 cases per 100 full-time workers among men. In some industries, such as fishing and construction, women may have difficulty finding personal protective equipment (PPE) that fits properly. Ill-fitting PPE can increase the risk of work-related injuries and illnesses.
Is your workplace safe + sound?
Workplace injuries can create high financial costs and impact workplace morale and productivity. Most importantly, MedPhysicals Plus believes there is a moral obligation to keep workers as safe as possible. We are here to help!
- Visit the OSHA website. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) has valuable tools on their website, such as tips for extreme weather, leadership, and hazard assessments, to help make your workplace a safer place.
- Participate in a preventive and proactive health and wellness plan.
- Ensure your employees are up to date on any needed vaccinations, DOT Physical renewals, and extend drug testing to include alcohol abuse.
- Avoid allowing employees or managers to utilize any broken equipment. Test equipment regularly.
- Label all equipment appropriately to ensure safe use.
- Make it seamless. Eliminate unnecessary procedures or protocols that are prohibiting realistic safety standards.
- Provide PPE or personal protective equipment and make sure it fits properly. Did you know that women are more likely to be missing “well-fitting” PPE?
- Provide training during onboarding, and refresher trainings throughout the year.
- Encourage a culture of asking questions.
- Teach proper lifting techniques and clearly define how much someone will need to lift. Explain if it will be daily or weekly they will be lifting that amount.
- Create an emergency response plan and place emergency contact numbers as frequently as possible throughout the workplace setting.
MedPhysicals Plus is here to ensure your workplace is safe. At MedPhysicals Plus, we understand that workplace safety is essential for the well-being of both employees and employers. That’s why we’re committed to delivering the highest quality occupational health services to ensure that businesses can operate safely, effectively, and efficiently. We offer a range of services, including pre-employment screenings, drug and alcohol testing, physical exams, and wellness programs. Our goal is to help employers create a safe and healthy work environment, which can improve employee productivity, reduce absenteeism, and minimize workplace injuries. Our team works closely with employers to assess their unique needs and develop customized occupational health programs tailored to their specific requirements. We also provide ongoing support and consultation to help employers maintain a safe and healthy workplace environment.
Visit https://medphysicalsplus.com/employer-services/ to learn more.